[Sca-cooks] re:lemon pie recipe

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 12:35:24 PDT 2006

--- Marcha <nigsdaughter at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> This is oop but a life long friend of mine has asked help in finding a milk based lemon pie
> recipe. His Mother made one but the recipe is lost in the mists of time. I  would also be
> interested.  I do not like the regular lemon pie recipes (truth be told, can't stand meringue)
> so any help would be greatly appreciated by both of us.
> Bertha

How about a lemon sponge pie?  It does use egg whites, but not as meringue...

Here is the recipe:

2 eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. In a mixing bowl,
combine flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, milk, and egg yolks. Gently
fold egg whites into mixture. Pour mixture into pastry-lined pie pan.
Bake lemon sponge pie at 350° for 40 minutes, or until done.

Huette