[Sca-cooks] My Menu for Ian and Katherine's Last Championships, May 13th

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue May 9 13:44:08 PDT 2006

On May 9, 2006, at 4:05 PM, Jim Davis wrote:

> This looks yummy!
>
> I know the problem of people with food issues not advising the
> feast cook, and then raising a ruckus or pulling a martyr act if
> there's nothing for them to eat.

Well, I'll say that we normally don't get a lot of that in our group.
Maybe people are just very used to being able to find at least
something they can eat, but mostly they just read the ingredients
list, and sometimes they'll ask me if I can make a change, like
leaving the pepper out of a portion or two of something. If I can do
it, I will, and if not, I won't, and normally it's all very amicable.

> Are you planning to share the recipes?  I'm particularly interested
> in how your preparing the duck.

Yes, at some point I'll get them into some usable form. Usually what
I do is try to follow the period recipe as much as possible, and
really only think about a modern recipe to help me establish a
shopping list.

I just bought the ducks this morning, a dozen huge ones from the
Asian grocers for $1.69 a pound. Total bill $77. I was pretty impressed.

What I figured on doing [tonight] was to split the ducks down the
back and "spatchcock" them (basically opening them like a triptych),
skewering them to hold them open and flat, and poaching them until
just barely done, then vacuum-sealing and freezing them. I'll defat
and reduce the cooking liquid to get a small amount of very strong
broth, and boil (prolly in the pressure cooker) about 10 lbs of
onions for the sauce. I may cook them down to a conserve in the crock
pot overnight. On the morning of the event, we'll thaw them, reheat
them on the grill or in boiling water in their plastic baggies, and
cut each into about six pieces with shears (two leg "quarters", two
large breast chunks, and two smaller breast chunks with the upper
wing attached).

The sauce will be made from duck fat, breadcrumbs fried a pale brown
in said fat, duck broth, the onion conserve, salt and pepper, and a
splash of vinegar (sherry if I can get it, or maybe champagne).

Duck pieces placed on top of the sauce, garnished with chopped herbs.

I wouldn't kick a Beaujolais Nouveau out of the sack with this, either.

Adamantius