[Sca-cooks] OOP-Buttercream Frosting

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Thu May 11 05:37:59 PDT 2006

>Perhance, a recipe for said fondant?
>I have heard that it can be purchased. Is that true?
>Is it any good?

Yes you can get it made. It comes commercially in great ugly
tubs that you will never need to buy in your life unless you
are "in the business". 15 pounds of the stuff covers a LOT of
petit fours, let me tell you!
It also comes in smaller sizes in a number of retail shops that sell cake supplies. Nearly anyplace that does Wilton carries fondant.
Wilton also has an On-Line store at wilton.com

As for "is it good?"
Well, I would not want to make a meal of it, but as far
as your basic icing goes, it's not bad.
The premade stuff has no flavoring added and no color so
it is a tad bland, if sweet. I have used it many times and it
is rarely left uneaten on the dish.

I usually just buy the 24 oz premade stuff from Wilton,
as making the stuff is pretty inconvenient.

2 lb. confectioners' sugar
1 tb + 2 tsp Knox gelatin.
1/4 cup Cold Water
1/2 cup WILTON glucose (I think you can
substitute Corn syrup)
2 tb Crisco
1 tb Glycerin

sift confectioners sugar into a metal bowl
with your fingers make a well in the sugar

In a pyrex or other heat safe measuring cup, add the cold water
and sprinkle the gelatin on top of the water and set aside.
after 5 mins stir.
set the measuring cup into a pan of boiling water and
add the glucose, glycerin, and crisco.
You should also add whatever flavor you want at this stage.
Stir until the crisco just melts and mixes in (do not let the
mixture get hot to the touch.)

Add the wet to the dry and mix on low speed, using a paddle or
with a spoon, until the mix comes together and is not sticky.

You may need to add additional confectioners sugar, depending
on humidity and temperature of mixture ( the warmer the
mixture, the more confectioners that will be required )

when it is kneaded to the point of appearing smooth ans is not
sticky when you pinch off a bit, you should turn the mix out.

Sift together 1 pound confectioners sugar and 1 cup corn starch
as a dusting mixture.
Spray your rolling surface with cooking spray, and liberally
dust it.
turn your fondant out and knead it until it is completely
smooth dry to the touch.
roll to the desired thickness and carefully lay the fondant
onto the cake.

I like to heat apricot jam (raspberry jam, if it's chocolate),
until it is about half in volume and spread that, hot, onto the
cakes to create a sticky sealed surfac for the fondant to hold
on to.

With clean dry hands you can smooth the fondant to the cake.
and then decorate.

It is a lot more convenient to just go to you nearest Michaels
or other store that sells Wilton supplies and buy the stuff.

A quick search of the wilton website turned up this recipe
which is very similar to mine:
http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/rolledfondant.cfm?section=wedding&subsection=recipes

this is the prepared stuff:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=710-2076&killnav=1