[Sca-cooks] Harvest times

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 12 07:43:34 PDT 2006

As I recall, the winter of 1959 was rather memorable complete with
blizzards, losing power and winding up in the basement for a couple days to
conserve heat, eight foot drifts and some really beautiful days.
Temperatures ran from around 25 to -40.  I also remember seeing a guy in
swim trunks and boots out getting a tan (perfectly clear, still day).  The
drifts lasted until spring thaw, but they got plowed out to permit traffic
flow around them.

The problem with Wilder's "Long Winter" was that it was long.  Winter came
early and stayed late at a time when an iffy transportation system and slow
travel times made resupply and exposure to the weather extreme dangers.
With a prolonged winter, people tend to run out of food and fuel reducing
their chances of survival even if the weather was not overly extreme.

The winter of 86 was extreme but not as long.  Rather than starving or
freezing as you ran out of food and fuel, you stood the risk of dying of
exposure crossing from the house to the barn.  The winter of 86 is also
noteworthy because the conditions were not localized, but spread almost from
Canada to Mexico across the western plains states.

I am tentatively willing to accept the reliability of Wilder's account,
because she first wrote of this period in a letter to (IIRC) the Territorial
Legislature in 1886.  I just haven't been interested enough to do the
research.

Bear