[Sca-cooks] another horseradish question

Debra Hense/Kateryn de Develyn nickiandme at att.net
Fri May 12 11:52:18 PDT 2006

<<I'm making horseradish for our Crown feast tomorrow, and I have a question
about method: I have a Kitchen-Aid mixer with the food grinder attachment,
I have some manual grinders, I have a Kitchen-Aid blender, and I have hand
graters. I am leaning towards the blender or the mixer for ease of
preparation--anybody have any input on which one would work better?

I've used hand grinders and a kitchen-aid with grinder attached.  The blender is not strong enough.  You need power to grind some of those horseradish roots.  They are tough-fiberous roots.  Do a large grind blade first and then a smaller grind blade like you do for meat when grinding down into sausage/hamburger.  Be prepared - some of the roots are very very strong - use gloves and be prepared for your eyes to water (much like cutting onions.)

The Cuisinart didn't have a fine enough shredding blade on it the one time I used it.

Kateryn de Develyn
Barony of Coeur d'Ennui
Kingdom of Calontir