[Sca-cooks] pizza dough/alton brown conundrum? (OT)

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed May 17 01:32:02 PDT 2006

> On 5/16/06 8:35 PM, "Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise"
>
> <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> > Ok, so it's OT. We're watching the Alton Brown show on pizza, and he
> > says that you should knead the dough for 15?! minutes with a stand
> > mixer, twice that if you are kneading by hand. I'm no master baker, but
> > I've made my share of bread and my family made pizza for years nearly
> > every Saturday night, and I've NEVER kneaded dough for half an hour.
> > What gives? Is the great scientist Alton in error?

I have no idea what kind of pizze he was trying to make, but isn't it
generally the case that wheat dough gets chewy and stretchy if you knead it
too long? Something to do with overdeveloping the glutzen, IIRC. At least,
that's why I learned not to overwork bread. It takes out the crumbliness. For
a pizza, I could see a stretchy, chewy dough as an asset, so maybe that is
the point.

Ciao

giano