[Sca-cooks] suggestions

Patrick Levesque petruvoda at videotron.ca
Thu May 18 17:23:02 PDT 2006

Ok, a few constructive ideas.

Since your feast is in October, you should have a ready supply of the
following items at the grocery store:

Parsley roots, parsnips, celeriac, beets, red carrots (depends where you
are).

There are many more, but these are generally very well received by diners,
because they look like "normal" (i.e. Modern) food. (Incidentally, to the
rest of the folks on the list, I can't recall anything specifically period
about celeriac - I know the celery stalks and leaves were commonly eaten in
late period, but the root?)

Do avoid potatoes - barring the sporadic impassioned debates on this list,
I'd recommend to pick some other food items because potatoes are just too
damn ubiquitous in North American cuisine generally. You want to give
something a little different to your guests.

Mashed celeriac with loads of butter and dried herbs is just as easy and
tastier. You can add mashed carrots or parsley roots in there as well (or
heck, just boil the parsley roots and serve them as a side vegetable - I
prefer them to carrots personally). Purees are very period.

There are also a gazillion things you could do with cabbage.

Also, if you roast your beef and chicken outside on a spit, you'll need some
kind of sauce to go with that. There are many of these in period texts, you
just have to decide the general kind of flavour you want it to have before
you start looking (don't get too specific, though. In many cases these
sauces are very different from the ones we use today).

Petru