[Sca-cooks] OT Air Mattress (was Pennsic Pity Party)

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Tue May 30 23:08:53 PDT 2006

Micaylah <dy018 at ncf.ca> [2006.05.30] wrote:
> Ulfr where do you hail from? For me its Canada. I remember a few times
> watching the snow fall at a camping event or whip sideways as it did a few
> years ago at a labour day weekend event. Perhaps our version of cold is 2
> different things.

I'm from Sweden, and every now and then I teach wilderness survival
courses, including winter courses up in the subarctic regions. My
definition of cold is that below -20 C or so it is cold, and it's COLD
if it's below -35 C.

> Plus, as I stated I have kidney (internal thermostat problems).

Reindeer furs are warm, two of them on top och each other is quite a bit
of insulation. When out winter camping I carry one thick (14mm) closed
cell foam pad and one bull reindeer hide (untanned, fall butchered).
That is plenty of insulation for underneath a sleeping bag. The one
thing you gain by having a higher bed is a protection from cold "ground
drafts", which I do agree makes a significant difference; I just can't
be bothered for mild weather SCA style camping with blankets available
more or less ad libidem.

If it looks like a cold night one could allways heat a few rocks by the
campfire and take to bed[1].

> I also have a tent heater, but I don't fall asleep with it on. Even
> though I know logically that my tent has adequate ventilation it would
> make me really nervous. It sure does come in handy in drying ones hair
> of humidity before crawling into bed though!

I've slept in tents with a continually burning wood stove (the Swedish
army used to not issue sleeping bags except to officers and special
units...), but I generally prefer to use heat sources as a evening and
morning thing in cold weather tents. Saves on someone having to sit up
keeping the stove fed and the tent from burning down.

> Of course this sleeping around doesn't happen all the time, just when its
> cold. And gender is not an issue. With some folks I have a standing invite
> that says if I'm too cold, I can snuggle up with them. I'm lucky and blessed
> with good friends.

What does the gender have to do with the unstated implications?

UlfR

[1] Fist size or somewhat larger, heat until they reach the "hot potato"
stage, wrap in fabric (rags, spare socks, whatever) and place
strategically (feet, behind back, etc). Lasts several hours.

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.