[Sca-cooks] Timely topic.....even food-related

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri May 5 06:32:40 PDT 2006

>From another list, so it's sooooo not my fault....
--M/a/i/r/e/....uh, Adamantius, yeah, that's right....

"Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was
manufactured in England.  In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars
of
the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to
be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

  This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever
delivered to Mexico.  But as we know, the great ship did not make it to
New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever
lost.

  The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were
eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss.  Their
anguish
was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they
still observe to this day.

  The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is
known,
of course, as Sinko de Mayo."