[Sca-cooks] bunuelos and medieval Jewish desserts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun May 7 20:37:45 PDT 2006

Suey mentioned:

Thank you so much for you suggestion it sounds divine. No I am not
doing kosher. Its just that I am trying to show inheritances in
Spanish cooking prior to the discovery of America in the menu for the
dinner after my speech. The first course is Catalan, the the second
is Hispano Islamic and for dessert I have bunuelos or fritters
(Roman) stuffed with orange and lemon peels (an Persian innovation).
<<<

Are these candied peels? I assume not if these are considered Roman.
But then I don't think the Romans had either oranges or lemons
either. So, are these peels in something else? Are they thin strips
with all the white removed? Unless soaked or in something they still
seem rather fibrous and/or bitter.

They have requested I provide a recipe another dessert and I think a
Jewish one would be perfect to round off the subject
<<<

This might be worth a look:
fd-Jewish-msg    (128K) 12/26/02    Jewish medieval food. Sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Jewish-msg.html

I have at least one article on Spanish sweets, but I think it is
using 16th Century recipes which would be later than you were looking
for.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas