potatoes and personal "issues" ;)....was RE: [Sca-cooks] suggestions

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Thu May 18 14:03:54 PDT 2006

hey all from Anne-Marie

casteau (1604) has some recipes for tartufle which according to some research might
be potatoes (or truffles, but cotgrave supports the potato theory). mmm. potatos
with a red wine butter sauce....

but 1604 isnt medieval by any stretch of the brain and no matter how documented it
really does a number on my "medieval mindset brain", just as turkey or new world
beans or modern celtic music :)

That said, I think its also important to remember that while we all get weakkneed
at the idea of a documentable medieval feast, that is not required in any way in
the governing documents of the SCA. all that is required is an "attempt at pre-17th
century costume". nothing about food or music or even that it has to be GOOD pre-
17th century costume :).

if someone wants to serve roast chickens, potatos and green beans, taht is their
perogative. just as it is very common practice in many places in the SCA to have
modern barbecue (and dang tasty stuff it is, too) or modern ethnic cuisine
as "feasts".

my own special kind of geekiness that would rather do a perfectly documentable and
authentic 15th century french feast is my own baggage, and while I am delighted to
share my obsessions with anyone who doesnt run away quickly enough, I need to keep
in mind that not everyone shares it, nor are they required to.

that said, this list seems to have a lot of people who share my own disorder, oops,
I mean obsession, oops, I mean flaw, oops, I mean interest in the field ;) and
that's a very happy thing for me :)

--Anne-Marie, who recently served "tartufles" in the spanish red wine sauce from
casteau (recipe pending in a new cookbook!) and felt compelled to make a big public
apology to the baron and baroness for being so weak as to succumb to fashion and
serve what was so obviously animal fodder and potentially poisonous animal fodder
at that. ;) (Toussant-Samat said that the burgundians were some of the last people
to accept the potato as human food. thought it might be a bit of fun tertiary
source schtick ;))

On Thu May 18 14:32 , 'otsisto' <otsisto at socket.net> sent: