[Sca-cooks] Sekanjabin rides again

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon May 29 21:55:43 PDT 2006

I found this on the web. It's way OOP for the SCA, but i thought it
might be of interest.

-----
from Turabi Efendi's Manual of Turkish Cookery, 1864

Sikenjebin
Put in a saucepan the white of an egg, well beaten up, three pounds
of powdered sugar, and pour in all at once three-quarters of a pint
of the best white-wine vinegar; stir it once round with a wooden
spoon, set it on a charcoal fire, and boil it for half a minute, then
skim and take it off, and instantly put in a small bunch of
sweet-marjoram tied up in a piece of muslin, put the cover over the
pan, and leave it until cold, then pass it through a clean cloth,
bottle and cork it up until wanted. In summer days it is an agreeable
and refreshing beverage with cold water.
-----

I assume the egg whites are to remove impurities in the sugar. Might
not be necessary nowadays.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita