[Sca-cooks] e: OT Air Mattress (was Pennsic Pity Party)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 30 21:12:18 PDT 2006

Jana mentioned:
> We also purchased a good quality air pump, rechargeable.  It
> inflates around 6 to seven air matteress and deflates them all for
> storage befor we have to recharge.

Oh! I have been using one of the double action handpumps, which has a
five inch diameter cylinder. It can still take quite a while, even
though, as I mentioned, ours is not one of the super size mattresses.
I've stayed away from the pumps powered off the cigarette lighter
since I've always felt I would find myself in a situation where I
couldn't get the vehicle close to the tent and mattress to blow it
up. and blowing it up on the car or on the ground next to the car
seemed like asking for a puncture.

It hadn't occurred to me that they might be making self-contained
rechargeable pumps now. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not sure why you would need the help of a pump to deflate the
mattress, though. Release the valve, lay on the mattress as the air
whooshes out and then fold it, compressing out the air as you fold/
roll it.

On my first Pennsic trip (Pennsic 21), I thought we had more than
enough room for two couples and their gear in a full-sized stretched
van. That is, I did until they brought along their double futon bed
mattress.:-/

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas