[Sca-cooks] medicinal recipies

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 13 14:13:20 PST 2006

Camphor within period will almost certainly the extract from Cinnamomum
camphora.  Elecampane (Inula helenium), known as inula to the Romans, has a
champhoraceous odor, but I haven't located a source for the terms elecampane
camphor or inula camphor in period.  Neither Culpepper or Gerard relates
elecampane to camphor.  The methods of use described by these authors would
primarily extract inulin.

According to one source, the earliest observation of elecampane camphor
(helenin) was by Le Febre in 1660 as a crystallization in the head of the
receiver during the distallation of elecampane root in water.

Bear