[Sca-cooks] period prices

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 20 17:56:06 PST 2006

Pence is a plural of penny as is pennies.  There are 240 pence or pennies in
a pound sterling or about 1.55 grams of silver (IIRC).

I've also come across a reference that prices pepper in late-14th Century
England at 5 shillings (60 pence), which would make a sheep worth 4/5 of a
pound of pepper at that time and place.

Bear