[Sca-cooks] Stuffing

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 21 08:34:34 PST 2006

>Your best bet is probably a
>fully thawed bird (if it was ever frozen), and stuffing that is at
>least partially cooled, if not cold.

This is pretty much my thought. Hot stuffing, cold bird, bacteria
playground. Bringing it all up together will reduce the chance of
several differnent temp zones.

>I'd be interested in seeing inside and
>outside temperature differentials... my theory is that they might not
>be as great as some people suppose.

That shouldn't be hard to check. Just two probe thermometers.
I agree that it would be interesting to see. I would think that it
would cook much as a roast would. From the outside in, as a
solid mass.

That's why I prefer to just stuff my bird with aromatics and then
make the dressing seperately with the pan juices.

>I think on Friday we'll be truly disgusting and try an honest-to-Gosh
>larded bird, with a pound or so of fresh pork fatback and a larding
>needle...

Very cool. I'd like to get hold of a larding needle at some point and
play with it. Mainly with pork loin and venison. But the turkey idea
has merit. I usually just rub butter and garlic under the skin.

>I'm sure in a few years this is going to be the in thing; the new brine.

Yeah. Trendiness, sigh.
I think Jack In The Box gets the prize for the most buzz-worded product:
The Ciabatta Chipotle Chicken Sandwich.
They just need the words "Tuscan" and "Extreme" to cover all the bases.

But I don't care if it's trendy, brining is good. I can see the whole
"fried turkey" craze someday being looked at with embarassed nostalgia.

>Adamantius

Gunthar