[Sca-cooks] Larding Pork Loin???

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:00:24 PST 2006

>Gunthar, I can understand larding of venison, but pork loin?  Is your
>source of pork that much drier / extremely trimmed than what I've been
>dealing with?

It must be extremely trimmed. I've rarely seen pork loin served
that wasn't dry. The lean center meat combined with the fear
of any pork that isn't bone dry combined with reheating makes
for awful eating. Pork isn't particularly marbled like beef and so
easily dries out from poor cooking. About the only time I serve
pork at a feast is in dishes with braising or steaming. Such as
cormarye.

Items like pork shoulder, butt or the fatty parts aren't nearly
as bad. But I've rarely had a pork loin that wasn't dry by the
time it got to the table. Larding it with a smoky bacon sounds
like it would rock.

>Now, if I were working without a covered pan or the bag, then I could
>see some over-trimmed pork roasts being "difficult".

Think about any time you have had pork offered at feasts.
All but a handful of times, it has been dry and chewy.

>Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)

Gunthar