[Sca-cooks] Kitab al-wusla ila al-habib

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 18:33:32 PST 2006

Yeah,
When stuck like that I get a hold of Charles Perry as Maxime and her
staff don't seem to be around. I have translated a lot but you perhaps
if you can be  more specific by telling me exactly are you are looking
for there is a slim chance I might have it. Looking at your references I
think it perfume but then that does not sound logical.
Susan
Serafina wrote:
 > I was looking for a particular recipe and was pointed in the direction of
 > > the "Kitab al-Wusla ila al-Habib"  Do you know of a translation
 > > somewhere?
As far as I know, there is no complete translation.

However, Maxime Rodinson commented on this text in his "Recherches sur
les documents arabes relatifs ? la cuisine" (1949). For an English
translation of the section about "Kitab al-wusla ila al-habib" see
Medieval Arab cookery, 2001, page 116ss. It includes a summary of the
contents of the work on page 131ss.

In case you find the recipe in Rodinson's summary of the contents, you
might find the recipe in the edition of the text and have someone
translate it for you:

Ibn al-Adim, Kamal al-Din Umar ibn Ahmad, Al-wuslah ila al-habib fi wasf
al-tayyibat wa-al-tib. Edited and with introduction by Sulayma Mahjub
and Durriyah Khatib. Two vols. Aleppo 1988.

You might also want to check the concordance on page 289 of Medieval
Arab Cookery, where recipes shared with the book "Kitab al-Wusla ..."
are marked by (w) following the recipe title (page 289ss, esp. page
296-299).

Serafina