[Sca-cooks] Revolts and economics was Spices for preservation of meats

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Nov 29 17:45:47 PST 2006

> I'm also puzzled by in what sense "starvation wages were the norm" in
> the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries." The latter part of that is a
> period of historically rapid population growth. The second half of
> the 19th century, at least, was a period of historically rapid growth
> in real incomes; I'm not sure of the earlier period.

However, I believe that the average standard of living was generally
held to have declined in that period, as more and more people needed to
provide their food needs by buying them. This may, of course, be a myth.
The use of the term 'real income' here may indicate this-- I'm not
familiar enough with the terminology of economic history being used. The
value of food products or raw materials produced within the consumer
unit, if measured as income, could be measured two ways: the value for
selling purposes or the replacement value. There have been times and
places in history where first-level producers were required to sell
agricultural products at a much lower price than socially comparable
consumers could buy them.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net