[Sca-cooks] OOP Odd "Cookbooks" Found

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 4 06:00:28 PST 2006

Went to a library sale last weekend and found two very odd "cook" books.
Volumes I and III of "Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and
Practices" by G. L. Herter and B.E. Herter.   Lots of very odd stuff
contained there in.  Anyone got any information regarding these books?

Daniel

I have in hand what I assume to be volume I since the list of other books by
these authors shows two other volumes.  To be honest, I would be willing to
bet that at one time in history my mother or I owned all three.  Maybe the
others will turn up when we move, and I get all her stuff out of the house
at the farm.

As you have probably noticed, there is a lot of arcane and hodge-podged
information in these books.  Quite interesting and enjoyable, actually.

For what others have had to say about them:

http://www.hoboes.com/html/Diner/revue/bullcook.shtml

http://outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=507

This ebay listing might give some insight into the Herters:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Herters-1959-60-Catalog-230-pp-Hunter-Gunsmith-Archery_W
0QQitemZ110049718842QQihZ001QQcategoryZ71135QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you for reminding me of these books.  One of these years, when I have
some free time, I will have to revisit them.  Bet it's been close to 30
years since I have thought of them.

Mairi Ceilidh