[Sca-cooks] Spices for preservation of meats

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 18 20:08:01 PST 2006

I have read that by the 14th century the price of black pepper came down to the point that middle class folk in western Europe could afford to buy it.  Unfortunately I cannot locate my research paper that has the specific reference.
  Cordelia Toser

Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
  Spices were expensive, but were not beyond the reach of anyone who could
acquire a modicum of wealth. As for the relative cost, who, when and where
must be considered in the equation. A couple of papers on the subject of
spice prices can be found at:

http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/munro5/SPICES1.htm

http://www.econ.yale.edu/seminars/echist/eh05-06/Freeman's%20Paper.doc

The hunt was often reserved to the nobles, but not necessarily the meat.
For example, for centuries the German Jaegermeister's have had the privilege
to sell part of the meat taken in the hunt as part of their wages and were
to provide a portion of the hunt to orphans, widows and the needy.
Domesticated livestock are outside of the purview of the hunt and in many
jurisdictions birds and fish were taken commercially and sold in the
markets.

Bear