[Sca-cooks] Spices for preservation of meats

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 18 21:21:54 PST 2006

The second URL comments on an apothecary in Barcelona (IIRC) selling pepper
for 5 sous per pound and that the price was fairly consistent with the price
earlier in the century.  If I'm correct about the coinage, that would have
been the equivalent of the English five silver pennies.  At about the same
time in England, a single sheep sold for about 48 to 50 pence with the
capacity to return that value in wool in one to four years depending on the
market.  Take the values quoted with a grain of salt, because I haven't been
able to verify them fully.

The first URL provides some 15th Century values with comparisons to modern
currencies.  At the beginning of the 16th Century, prices dropped by about
1/3, when the Portuguese cut out the Arab middlemen.

Bear