[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving 2006

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 25 19:38:38 PST 2006

Well, i goofed - i forgot to take the Tofurkey out of the freezer. So
it took about 3 hours to cook rather than 1-1/2 to 2. But that was
ok... it was done a little after noon. Clearly i'm not the only one,
because there were directions on the box for cooking it frozen.

And, hey, Wednesday night on one of those national network TV "news"
shows, they actually did a segment on... Tofurkey!

Thanks to the show, i got to see the giant mixing vats of tofu/seitan
dough for the "meat" and to watch the machines extruding the stuff
into its plastic casing and cut and seal the giant sausage-like
lumps. The "host" confessed that he didn't like tofu, but graciously
said it tasted good. He didn't seem to really understand what it can
be like to be a vegetarian at a "normal" Thanksgiving dinner, as he
interviewed several long-time vegetarians, who told some of their
tales of having sad Thanksgivings before Tofurkey. Also, apparently
it's "new and improved" - the proof will be in the eating. It got low
marks from me 6 years ago.

I did get the Macy's Parade on TV on time. It confirmed that i hate
the way TV does parades. You hardly get to see anything, but they
make sure that they get all sorts of TV "personalities" on to plug
shows on the station broadcasting the parade or singers having
recording contracts with the "music" arm of the "parent corporation".
When the marching bands come through, they announce how special they
are, what prize winners they are, then let you hear one minute or
less of music and then cut to a commercial. And i LOVE marching band
music - despite the fact that i'm a registered Green, tree-hugging,
former hippie, and took at least 4 semesters of non-Western music
classes, and classes in the history of blues and jazz at the
university, and had an aunt who was a classical pianist, and i really
love classical music and late 20th C. "serious" music. I want to hear
the marching bands!!!

Well, the proof WAS in the eating. The Tofurkey and the Tofurkey
Gravy WERE vastly improved over those i had 6 years ago. The stuffing
was tasty and fluffy - no longer a nasty gummy goo and with much less
sage than last time. The gravy actually liquefied, rather than
sitting in the pan in a gelid lump. It was certainly not as tasty as
a well cooked turkey, but it was not longer an utter travesty, and i
would recommend it to vegetarians or vegans who want something that
reminds them of a traditional American Thanksgiving.

I also had whole berry cranberry sauce, lightly steamed green beans,
and a tiny baked sweet potato in its skin. However, i goofed. I got
the kind that are yellow inside, and they're starchier tasting than
the bright orange kind i meant to get. Sigh. And there are 2 more of
them for me to eat over the next 2 days.

I watched the American Kennel Club dog show broadcast from
Philadelphia while i ate. Some of those dogs are such professionals,
but a few still have doggy spirit.

I hope everyone else who is celebrating it has had a great
Thanksgiving, and everyone else who is not had a great day.

I am thankful for this list and the long-distance friends i have made
on it, some of whom i've even met in person and some i'll meet at
Pennsic 2007.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita