[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP From the Boston Globe: "Hatred of Rachael Ray Can Be A Powerful Uniting Force"

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 26 08:46:04 PST 2006

On Nov 26, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Or maybe it's her perky personality.  She's just too "cute" for
> words....ugh!  And I don't feel like I've ever learned anything from
> her...as I have from some of my favs, like Mario!  I dunno...the
> FoodTV
> channel seems to have so many peaks and valleys...Iron Chef,
> Mario's shows,
> Alton Brown, etc vs. Bobby Flay, who seems to be all over the
> channel in so
> many shows, Emeril who is VERY annoying,

I feel Emeril is mildly annoying, but you definitely can't say he
doesn't know his stuff, whereas I've dealt with Bobby Flay for a long
time, both from a distance and very much in person, and there's a
very narrow window for the stuff he actually knows how to do. For
everything else, he relies on underpaid staffers, just as Martha
Stewart has been doing for what seems like centuries.

> and now Rachel Ray.  Do they really
> think these latter folks are all that great!!  I guess maybe they
> do appeal
> to some folks...just like some of those awful "family" comedies on
> broadcast
> TV!

Well, much as I regret to say it, Ray is indeed perky and, well, like
it or not, a bit on the... curvaceous side (although there's a little
more of here these days than her two-year-old publicity shots
suggest). If one were to be influenced by that sort of thing (I, of
course, am immune to such considerations), it seems to me that you'd
want someone nice-looking, who _also_ can cook. Looking great while
driving a sports car in heels is optional ;-). Especially since
sports cars associated with me tend to be wearing boots...

But then you hear Rachael Ray's voice, which is a sort of nasal rasp
with just a touch of Richard Simmons about it, and realize she's good
for about three minutes before you'll start looking for heavy objects
to slug her with.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782