[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP From the Boston Globe: "Hatred of Rachael Ray Can Be A Powerful Uniting Force"

Woodrow Hill asim at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 26 12:23:19 PST 2006

On 11/26/06, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> But then again, let's face it, her show is not aimed toward the high-end
> cooks on this list, but for relative beginners in the kitchen.  When
> assessing a show like this, it pays to remember the target audience.  She's
> like "Barney" to a 3 year old and we're big kids now.

I just saw Rachel on an Iron Chief America w/...Gina, I believe her
name is?  along with her appearance in their group cooking special.
I can see the attraction; as someone who doesn't care overmuch for
"perky", Mz. Ray didn't come off as the kind of hyper inattentive
perky that flusters me.  And I like curves, so no problem there...
She struck me, in her discussions on ICA, as a woman who's fully aware
of her shortcomings as a self-made(?) cook, and simply enjoys food and
life.  I personally find self-made women highly attractive, so you
might take the rest with the appropriate measure of salt.
If such a person touches more people, and gets them to explore the
joys inherent in the kitchen, I personally see this as a positive
development, and to be encouraged in the cooking community.  She is,
perhaps, more "Sesame Street" or "Electric Company" than the empty
"Barney", but then I barely watched any of former as a kid, and,
again, have only had limited exposure to Rachel Ray, so far.

----asim