[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP From the Boston Globe: "Hatred of Rachael Ray Can Be A Powerful Uniting Force"

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 26 13:52:35 PST 2006

On 11/26/06 12:23 PM, "Woodrow Hill" <asim at mindspring.com> wrote:

> On 11/26/06, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> But then again, let's face it, her show is not aimed toward the high-end
>> cooks on this list, but for relative beginners in the kitchen.  When
>> assessing a show like this, it pays to remember the target audience.  She's
>> like "Barney" to a 3 year old and we're big kids now.
>
> I just saw Rachel on an Iron Chief America w/...Gina, I believe her
> name is?

Giada de Laurentiis, grand-daughter of the famous filmmaker Dino.  Her name
may have gotten her the job but she seems to have the cooking chops to keep
it.  And a dazzling smile to boot.

> along with her appearance in their group cooking special.
> I can see the attraction; as someone who doesn't care overmuch for
> "perky", Mz. Ray didn't come off as the kind of hyper inattentive
> perky that flusters me.  And I like curves, so no problem there...
> She struck me, in her discussions on ICA, as a woman who's fully aware
> of her shortcomings as a self-made(?) cook, and simply enjoys food and
> life.  I personally find self-made women highly attractive, so you
> might take the rest with the appropriate measure of salt.
> If such a person touches more people, and gets them to explore the
> joys inherent in the kitchen, I personally see this as a positive
> development, and to be encouraged in the cooking community.  She is,
> perhaps, more "Sesame Street" or "Electric Company" than the empty
> "Barney", but then I barely watched any of former as a kid, and,
> again, have only had limited exposure to Rachel Ray, so far.
>
>> Selene
>
> ----asim

Indeed but we see a different side of each chef in the "Iron Chef America"
show than we we on each of their own shows, with the possible exception of
Batali.  Rachel's show is aimed at the beginning cook who is intimidated by
the whole process.  30 MINUTE MEALS makes the whole idea more comfortable to
the beginner but is a bit elementary for this august company to enjoy for
more than a few minutes.

Selene