[Sca-cooks] The 50th annual SCA-Cooks Thanksgiving list!

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 20 20:57:00 PST 2006

> Michael Gunter wrote:
> >Well, it feels like 50 years to me.
> >
> >So, what are y'all making for Thanksgiving?
> >
> I'm going to my aunt and uncle's house.  My niche in the
> family culinary ecology is baking, so I'll be making pumpkin rolls.
> --
> Brighid ni Chiarain

My future father-in-law has had T-Day staked out for years, and I'll be
flying in anyway...

However, I have just finished pre-carving the Pork Loin Roast in a Paper
Bag for tomorrow's Feast at work (yeah, I'm a contractor, but these folx
are pretty good about including us into things...), and I'll be doing
serious stir-fry for Carol and her family Sunday night before I fly
back.

With any luck, I may even have been able to retrieve and recondition the
wok that's been in storage for four years -- otherwise it's honkin' huge
skillet time.

Amra
Kitchen Idiot

(The Pork-in-Paper-Bag should be in the list archives, but I'll repeat
here in short-form:  oil PAPER grocery bag [vegetable oil of some type -
tonight's was done with safflower].  Put in baking pan or roaster.
Select spices:  tonight I used powdered ginger, commercial salt-free
garlic/herb blend, a *hint* of sage, a sprinkle of basil, a few drops of
Liquid Smoke, some crushed sea salt. DO NOT CUT SLITS IN BAG! Rub loin
with selected spices mixed into a little extra oil, maybe a double
tablespoon or so for a 3 to 4 pound.  Add desired vegetables on top of
pork in bag.  Fold bag down and invert -- the weight of the contents
should keep bag closed, and excess oil from "bottom" of bag combined
with steam / captive liquids drips to constantly baste.  Bake in
preheated oven at 325 for at least 3 hours on a 3 to 4 pound loin roast;
NEVER open the bag to peek!  Once time is up, remove from oven and let
stand 15 - 20 minutes BEFORE opening the bag.  Slice & serve while hot.
Optionally use drippings from bag to build a gravy, or just slide 'em
into a small gravy pitcher and let folk apply as desired)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em | alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR
MCBaker216 at cs.com
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen |