[Sca-cooks] Fruit Paste...

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 26 05:21:35 PST 2006

>I think even today waxed paper or similar papers might be used. This
>sounds like the type of item which might show up in the multitude of
>christmas holiday catalogs that have begun to appear in everyone's
>mailboxes and as newspaper inserts. So you might glance through these
>as they head to the trashcan.

I can with experience say that waxed paper = really bad idea.  Even if
you've cooled the paste down somewhat from the temp it reaches by the time
it's boiled down, if it's cool enough to pour, its tendency is to melt the
wax and weld itself quite firmly to the paper base.  It must then be picked
off in little slivers and still leaves a somewhat "papery" product.  I
suppose if you're trying to raise the fiber content of your diet...but
still.  *g*  I've done this with homemade turtles, too.

Take home lesson:  When making candies, stick with parchment paper.

Femke