[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks] Yippee!!!!

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Oct 1 07:36:02 PDT 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 9:42 AM, grizly wrote:

> [...]

One book? That's a tough one.

I see that Amazon has the latest edition of the Culinary Institute of
America's own text, "The Professional Chef" on sale, down from about
$70 to about $40 or $45. I don't own a copy, but I hear from all
sides it's very good.

What I own and use are Wayne Gisslen's "Professional Cooking" and
"Professional Baking", largely because these were the required texts
at the culinary school I went to. I would also give serious thought
to a copy of Escoffier's Guide Culinaire (available in English as
"The Escoffier Cookbook"), and maybe a copy of the Larousse
Gastronomique. There are also books out there specifically about
restaurant management, which will cover both back-of-the-house and
front-of-the-house operations.

Adamantius