[Sca-cooks] Favorite Spice Containers

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Oct 6 00:04:40 PDT 2006

An inverted truncated cone should work well as a stopper, if you can
make sure the angles of both the "cork" and the neck are the same, or
very close. Perhaps with the stopper covered with a carefully fitted
and glued piece of this, soft leather, that after fitting and glueing
is covered with softened beeswax? It would be worth an experiment, at
least. One concern I would have with beeswax applied any other way
would be the ground spices adhering to the stopper and/or the neck,
and thus opening up gaps.

Another possibility, that would be a bit fiddly might be a top shaped
rather like a shot glass, with a swelling at the bottom to help seal
the hole. Beeswax could them be applied outside the neck of the bottle
to avoid that difficulty.

Of course, when in doubt, drop back and punt ;-) How did they actually
deal with this in period? I'm thinking that spices were ground to each
usage, rather than stored as a powder for any length of time.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....