[Sca-cooks] Period?, was Tomatoes

Sandragood@aol.com Sandragood at aol.com
Fri Oct 6 14:51:31 PDT 2006

In a message dated 10/6/2006 11:52:49 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu writes:

Andrew  F. Smith is quite a well known food historian.
He's often featured on the  History Channel, so you may have seen him.
His work is documented with  footnotes. The texts tend to be very readable.

Johnnae,

Thanks for the links.  I have book-marked them to peruse after I get  my
sewing project done.  I did not know who Andrew Smith was until the  recent posts.
 (shock)  We don't have cable or satellite.   (shock, shock)  My library
trips have been limited lately (4 kids,  two of them 3 and under) and are usually
made to the children's  department. (sigh)

I do enjoy research, although not because I don't take the word of anyone
else.  My comment was meant to determine the type of source or how far from  a
primary source Mr. Smith's work would be.  (now a big,  duh!)  However, if Mr.
Smith had interpreted something from Mr. Brown's  Book on Such-and-such (which
is nothing but a bunch of opinions based  on Mr. Jones's physical research),
then he would be one step further  down the line for reliable documentation.
If however he was actually  quoting 15th or 16th century works in some Spanish
museum...you get the  picture.  That would also make for a neat bibliography,
which is  the first thing I notoriously look at out of  habit.  Second being
the credentials of the author.  So thanks to  everyone that has shown me the
light ;o), I now have another item on my  ever-growing long list of "things to
do".

Liz