[Sca-cooks] Smoked Meats in Northern Europe

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Oct 9 05:45:26 PDT 2006

Only minimally, and second-hand at that, sorry.
My dad used to make smoked jerky and fish, and I know there were years when
we had an overabundance of game meat (one year, both mom AND dad got moose
permits), and some of it got turned into summer sausage/thuringer, which we
just kept in a cool, dry part of the basement, hanging from the ceiling, but
I don't know what the meat locker did to get the sausage to that stage.
Some of the native peoples around here have a history of making
pemmican-type foods, too, with dried meats, but I suspect those to be of the
wind-and-heat dried variety, like a jerky.
I have a couple of sources for dried cod that I can dig out, if folks are
interested.
--Maire