[Sca-cooks] OT: 16th and early 17th C. potpourri-like thingies

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 11 12:24:10 PDT 2006

I thought that having a dish or two of 16th or early 17th century
potpourri-like substance might be nice at the Masked Rose Duchesses
Ball. A real potpourri is a marvelously fragrant blackened lump of
vegetal matter - "pourri" is French for "rotten" or "spoiled" - not
those fluffy mixes of artificially scented and colored stuff found
today in Michael's - usually blending things like rose petals and
benzoin and other stuff...

I know there are recipes for some of these sorts of things in English
books of the time, but can't recall which, off the top of my head.

And of course, i'm not limiting myself to English books, but do
prefer late SCA-period sources -15th, 16th, and OOP early 17th C.
(since so many books of the early 17th C. just lifted stuff from
earlier books).

Anyone here know where i should look? Thanks for any pointers.

I'm also thinking of making a couple fragrant arrangements of quinces
and citrons with a little rosemary...

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita