[Sca-cooks] barm raised cakes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Oct 13 21:02:56 PDT 2006

I wrote:

> Urtatim mentioned:
>
> <<< There's a recipe in Digby for a barm raised spice cake -
> and Johnnae has actually cooked it - that could work in the bundt
> pan. >>>
>
> Oh? I'm not sure I've seen this one. I keep hearing of Digby's
> "Excellent Small Cakes". Recipe/redaction someone?

To which Johnnae replied to me by email:
<<< Here's the recipe--

 From 2002--

A Great Cake from the Rose Tourney
By Johnnae llyn Lewis
<snip>  >>>

Johnnae,

Yes, I apparently missed this recipe the first time you posted it.
Thanks for sending me a copy. In figuring out where I would place it,
I realized that I actually do have a file on period cakes that are
more recognizably modern than Digby's "Excellent Small Cakes".

So, just in case others are interested in ale-barm risen cakes, see
this file:
cakes-msg         (20K)  6/30/06    Period cakes and cake recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/cakes-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas