[Sca-cooks] Bulgar was Re: OT - bologne

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 20 11:23:04 PDT 2006

Elaine Koogler wrote:
> Patrick Levesque wrote:
>
>> On 19/10/06 17:06, "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
>> <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>>> One of the more successful dietary initiatives we've implemented here
>>> is whole grain bread and even whole wheat pasta, which Evil Spawn
>>> will cheerfully eat, although he draws the line at bulgur and kasha.
>>>

>> Some time ago, in a mad rush of optimism, I actually bought bulgur, figuring
>> I'd give it a shot and broaden the kids' culinary horizons while there's
>> still time (they say that eating habits are, on average, fixed before they
>> reach 6 years of age. I guess I'm an exception, otherwise I'd still be
>> exclusively feeding on fish sticks, meatballs in brown goop and ham to this
>> day!).
>>
>> Problem is, I don't have the faintest idea what to do with it. I probably
>> have a few recipes in cookbooks here and there, but I haven't managed to get
>> up and actually cook one. Any suggestions?
>>
>> This said, I'm blessed with two wonderful boys who will eat anything, have a
>> craving for brie and strong cheddar, fish and seafood, broccoli and
>> asparagus. So I can't complain much. (Of course, they're 3 years and 14
>> months old, respectively, so the worst is yet to come :-)))
>>
>> Petru
>>

> Kiri:  My favorite thing to do with bulgar wheat is to make tabouli...I found
> this recipe on the Web:  <snip yummy recipe>
I am probably preaching to the choir here but I would go lighter on the
dressing when just starting to feed this to children, who do not
customarily like sharp things.  Lemon is probably easier on a young
palate than vinegar, certainly.

Bulgar can also be served as breakfast grains and leftovers snuck into
meatloaf/meatballs.  But I like that kind of thing.

Selene