[Sca-cooks] Cooking venison

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Oct 30 09:30:47 PST 2006

The thing you need to keep in mind that game meat tends to be very
dry, so any method of cooking you use should focus on adding extra fat
or liquid. Rather than just marinating and adding garlic, I'd lard or
bard it if I were going to slow cook it. Breading and frying would
tend to minimize the liquid too, giving you a rather tough piece of
meat- with any of the deer like game meats, to fry them, I'd cook them
plain in lard with just a hint of salt and pepper- very tasty that
way.

If you Google venison, elk, or antelope recipes, you'll get quite a
lot of hits, and if you look through the various recipes, you can get
a pretty good feel for what techniques and spices go best with each.
>From there, you can look at period recipes and see what you can find
that adheres to the priciples of cooking that particular beast. One
thing, however, to keep in mind, is that in period, game was often
killed by chasing the poor beasties over hill and dale, so when you
finally got your beast, he was exhausted and filled with stress
chemicals, thus, as a general rule, being tougher and stronger
flavored than a critter for whom death comes as a surprise, so you
might want to address the medieval recipes accordingly, if you're
starting with farm raised and slaughtered beasts.

Three quick tips:

If you get deer that have been feeding on a lot of apples, you'll
still have to minimize the amount of natural fat (it's pretty strongly
flavored), but it will be very tasty.

Go for does rather than bucks- milder flavored and less tough.

Juniper berries go very well with any of the meats you mention.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....