[Sca-cooks] Smoked Meats in Northern Europe

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 6 21:35:30 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
> cherries were a part of the Norse diet.  Obviously oak was around, but
> I'm not sure about poplar, alder, or hickory.
>            Thanks for being such a vast wealth of knowledge!
>            Christianna

I'd use cherry- it's absolutely killer with lighter flavored meats and
fish, as is apple ;-) Oak is good, too, but would be better with a
stronger flavored flesh- a red meat, usually. Alder can go either way,
as can poplar, but they aren't quite as good with fish as fruit woods
are.

There is an Old World maple, I think, but I'm not sure how it would
compare with the New World maple in so far as flavor goes. It would be
good, I suspect, but not necessarily authentic, if that's what you're
looking for. < < < < < <<

The fish-throwing guys at the Seattle market sell a SPECTACULAR alder smoked
salmon.  It is by far the best falvored I have had . . . it is stronger than
most of what I find in the vaccuum packed dealies in grocery stores, and
very pleasant.  It makes me want to import some alder to GA . . . maybe I'll
just use pecan.  That's the stuff of gifts to the the poor and unsalmoned.

Anyway, as for the flavor quality of alder and salmon, excellent with a
simple salt/sugar cure.

niccolo difrancesco