[Sca-cooks] Smoked Meats in Northern Europe

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 7 10:44:06 PDT 2006

>It makes me want to import some alder to GA . . . maybe I'll
>just use pecan.  That's the stuff of gifts to the the poor and unsalmoned.

I LOVE the fish guys at the Seattle market. I wasn't sure how well
Alder would work, having never smoked with it myself. But I do know
that alder was mentioned a lot in the sagas and this is a Viking feast.

As for pecan, did you know you can just use soaked pecan shells for
smoking and it comes out wonderful? No sense using the wood when
you use the nutmeats for something else. Also good just for throwing
on the briquette coals when grilling.

>Anyway, as for the flavor quality of alder and salmon, excellent with a
>simple salt/sugar cure.

And as for the cedar comment at first, I was referring to the famous
Washington cedar plank salmon

>niccolo difrancesco

Gunthar