[Sca-cooks] Cotignac

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 9 09:28:48 PDT 2006

Am Montag, 9. Oktober 2006 20:18 schrieb Sandra Kisner:
> >Hmm, I've never tried it without honey or sugar.  The recipe from Menagier
> >de Paris uses honey.  That takes longer.  IF you've added extra sugar (or
> >honey) and IF the quinces aren't too overripe then it's just like making
> > jam but boiled down a little more.  Use the full pulp, not just juice.
> > If you cook it until a wooden spoon pulled arcoss the bottom of the pan
> > leaves a track for about 2 seconds, it will usually set up as soon as
> > it's cool.  I use a baking sheet with a light coating of cooking spray,
> > sprinkled with sugar.  Though I'd love to get a more period mold someday.
>
> I've tried that, but ended up adding so much sugar I felt like I was making
> candy.

Basically, you *are* making candy - well, all but. It is supposed to be very
sweet. I saw a documentary on that a few years ago, and they still make
cotignac in Western France. Modern cotignac is made with the filtered juice
of quinces and refined sugar (they claim their antecedents in the
Renaissance, which I'll believe, but I haven't found the exact reference).
The whole is cooked until it is boiled down to the point of jelling stiff,
then poured into wooden boxes and cooled. The liquid reduces by IIRC more
than two thirds in the process.

Giano