[Sca-cooks] Late SCA-Period Sweets?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 13 06:20:08 PDT 2006

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Urtatim mentioned:
>
> <<< There's a recipe in Digby for a barm raised spice cake -
> and Johnnae has actually cooked it - that could work in the bundt
> pan. >>>
>
> Oh? I'm not sure I've seen this one. I keep hearing of Digby's
> "Excellent Small Cakes". Recipe/redaction someone?
>
> <<< And it could be coated with a "period" icing recipe - although i
> want to alter it and color it pink or reddish with fruit juice. >>>
>
> You may already have this info, but just in case you don't...
> Sugar-Icing-art   (36K) 11/10/01    "Sugar Icing" by Johnnae llyn
> Lewis. Some
>                                         notes on sugar icing in late
> period.
> sugar-icing-msg    (6K)  1/16/02    Period sugar icing/frosting.
>
> <<< And
> i'm that "period" gingerbread might work in the smaller roses (and
> cutting them into smaller pieces, following the rose petals). >>>
>
> I've never tried forming it into something so fine. But perhaps my
> breadcrumbs just haven't been ground enough.
>
> gingerbread-msg   (48K)  6/15/04    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
>
>   <<< But i also want the banqueting table to look special. I want it
> to be
> colorful and festive. Not just brown cakes and pale "small cakes". >>>
>
> Perhaps:
> Dresng-t-Dish-art (34K)  6/18/06    “Beyond the Soeltie: Garnished,
> Fringed,
>                                         Dressed and Flourished”
>                                         by Donna Serena da Riva.
> feast-decor-msg   (17K)  4/10/01    Decorating the feasthall.
>
> The two files Renata mentioned:
> Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of
> Roses & Sugar"
>                                         by Mistress Renata Kestryl of
> Highwynds.
> Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
>                                         Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
>
> Stefan

I have made this cake several times (the one from Digby) and it came out
beautifully...resembled a spice cake more than anything else.  I
actually used it as the base for sotelties...I've made a dragon (used a
food-safe stainless steel wire as an armature...covered it with
marzipan), a map of Atlantia (same idea, only without the armature), and
a castle.  Didn't have any of those lovely cake pans at the time, so
built my own out of a square sheet pan, and four small springform pans
for the towers.

But the cake was delicious...and the ale barm worked nicely as a raising
agent.

Kiri

--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                        -- Audrey Hepburn