[Sca-cooks] Late SCA-Period Sweets?

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 12 23:30:43 PDT 2006

Urtatim mentioned:

<<< There's a recipe in Digby for a barm raised spice cake -
and Johnnae has actually cooked it - that could work in the bundt
pan. >>>

Oh? I'm not sure I've seen this one. I keep hearing of Digby's
"Excellent Small Cakes". Recipe/redaction someone?

<<< And it could be coated with a "period" icing recipe - although i
want to alter it and color it pink or reddish with fruit juice. >>>

You may already have this info, but just in case you don't...
Sugar-Icing-art   (36K) 11/10/01    "Sugar Icing" by Johnnae llyn
Lewis. Some
                                        notes on sugar icing in late
period.
sugar-icing-msg    (6K)  1/16/02    Period sugar icing/frosting.

<<< And
i'm that "period" gingerbread might work in the smaller roses (and
cutting them into smaller pieces, following the rose petals). >>>

I've never tried forming it into something so fine. But perhaps my
breadcrumbs just haven't been ground enough.

gingerbread-msg   (48K)  6/15/04    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.

  <<< But i also want the banqueting table to look special. I want it
to be
colorful and festive. Not just brown cakes and pale "small cakes". >>>

Perhaps:
Dresng-t-Dish-art (34K)  6/18/06    “Beyond the Soeltie: Garnished,
Fringed,
                                        Dressed and Flourished”
                                        by Donna Serena da Riva.
feast-decor-msg   (17K)  4/10/01    Decorating the feasthall.

The two files Renata mentioned:
Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of
Roses & Sugar"
                                        by Mistress Renata Kestryl of
Highwynds.
Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                                        Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas