[Sca-cooks] Interpretation question was: Period? was Tomatoes

Sandragood at aol.com Sandragood at aol.com
Fri Oct 6 14:07:39 PDT 2006

This is totally OOP, but we had a recent showcase recipe with The  Pampered
Chef that was just delicious.  A fantastic appetizer and a  step above the
cucumber and tomato sandwiches you see at receptions.  Sorry  for the product
highlights, it's just easier to copy and paste without all the  editing.

Caprese Mini Sandwiches

4 flat pita bread rounds(without pockets) although I made it with what  could
be found.
1 tablespoon olive oil (we have a great basil blend oil that  really accented
this)
¼ cup (1 ounce) coarsely grated fresh Parmesan  cheese
¼ teaspoon Pantry Italian Seasoning Mix
½ cup lightly packed fresh  basil leaves
¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed
¼  teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons light balsamic salad dressing (I made mine fresh  instead)
4 cups mixed baby salad greens or spinach leaves
2-3 balls fresh  mozzarella cheese, sliced (about 8 ounces)
2 large plum tomatoes,  sliced

Preheat oven to 425°F.

1.Place pita rounds on Large Round Stone; drizzle with oil, spreading
evenly. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese and seasoning mix.  Bake 8-10  minutes
or until edges are light golden brown and cheese is melted.
2.  Meanwhile, for pesto, place basil and walnuts on Cutting Board; finely
chop  together using Food Chopper. Combine basil mixture, garlic pressed with
Garlic  Press and salt in Classic Batter Bowl; mix well.
3. Turn over pita rounds on  baking stone; drizzle with dressing, spreading
evenly to edges. Using Crinkle  Cutter, cut each round into six wedges. Remove
half of the pita wedges to  Cutting Board. Top each wedge with a small amount
of the greens. Place one slice  of mozzarella cheese over greens; top with
pesto and one slice of tomato. Top  with remaining pita wedges, cheese side up,
forming 12 mini sandwiches. Serve  immediately.

Yield: 12 servings (well 12 mini sandwiches)

Cook’s Tip: To toast  walnuts, spread over bottom of Small Oval Baker.
Microwave on HIGH 2-3  minutes or until fragrant and lightly toasted,
stirring after
each 30-second  interval.

Liz