[Sca-cooks] only one cookbook

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Oct 11 18:02:40 PDT 2006

Two fifteenth-century cookery-books : Harleian MS. 279 (ab 1430), &
Harl. MS. 4016 (ab. 1450), with extracts from Ashmole MS. 1439, Laud MS.
553, & Douce MS. 55
http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=cme;idno=CookBk
has it online now. It's not really necessary to buy the hard copy any
longer.
There's Cindy's Take A Thousand Eggs or More
http://www.thousandeggs.com/ttem.html
Ordinance of Pottage is OP and has been for years.  $80 and up on the
used market.
Hieatt's *Curye on Inglysch: Middle English Recipes -
English Culinary Manuscripts of the Fourteenth Century (Early English
Text Society Supplementary S.)*
is still available.Gee why are these titles so familiar?
Also available Concordance of English Recipes: 13^th to 15^th Centuries
- $29.95 Constance Hieatt, Terry Nutter, & Johnna Holloway.
If you are going to do English works, you might as well get the cross
index. And that is not a shameless commercial
plug, although I will be happy to sign it if we ever meet at an event or
conference.
You could just ask for a gift certificate from Poison Pen Press.
http://www.poisonpenpress.com/cookery.html
**
**Johnnae

Elaine Koogler wrote:
>  If English, then "Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books".  If Mediterranean,
> then Platina.  If French, the Taillevent.  Else....I dunno!
> Kiri

An Ordinance of Pottage (I believe this is out of print)
Curye on Inglysch (aka Forme of Curye and still available)
and Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books (I've seen this one available in
paperback)but then there was...Pleyn Delit snipped Liz