[Sca-cooks] Weird pseudo cooking program on PBS

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Sep 2 14:16:16 PDT 2006

The website does include this recipe--
*Simon*
Our inspiration came from the first recorded recipe for 'bred puddyng',
included in Eliza Brampton's *'Boke Of Cokery'* published in 1571. We
bought it at a Sotheby's auction for £17,500, to save it for the nation.
Our house, Crowe Hall, is open to the public during the second week of
August every year. Come and visit our safe and admire it. *No beards or
children*, naturally.

/'Take bred. Frye hit yn oyle. Grynde hit with reysons and drawe hit.
Claryfy honye with gleyr of eyron and water. Scom hit clenel and put hit
to that othir.' We could go on. And we will. 'Do therto clovy, macez and
gynger mynsed. Loke hit be stondyng and floresch hit with annes in
confite.'/

*Simon*
That's what we did. But what do you do if you're ordinary? The first
thing you do is buy yourself a bottle of *1986 Barsac*. The chalky soil
at Barsac produces the world's finest sweet wines. Go there and rub a
hundred grams between your thumb and fingertips. Sniff it. It's the
source of vinicultural greatness. *Sniff it again*. *Sniff it hard*.
*Lick it*. Go on. Now swallow. Swallow that soil and you'll understand
why we made it compulsory. You can't order our Bread AND Butter Pudding
without an '86 Barsac.

Some rules are made to be broken. That is not one of them.

*Ingredients:*
29 currants from Corinth
Cognac
10 soupcons of milk, organic cow's, wholly pasteurised, utterly
non-homogenised and totally semi-skimmed
1 pinche of Caster sugar
1 demerara sugar
Vanilla essence
3 layers of trusted organic wholemeal bread, thinly abused
2 of Arthur Legg-Bourke's eggs
Fennel, close-shaved

The most important ingredient in our *'AND'* is the currants. For two
thousand years, Greek men with moussaka-flavoured moustaches have dried
grapes on sheets in the sun south of Corinth. *Only buy Greek currants,
from Greek men, in Greece*. We do our Currant Run in early May, when the
mimosa is just out, the hotels are half-empty and the boys are just
starting to put their shorts back on...

Johnnae