[Sca-cooks] Currant plant help?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 3 15:48:59 PDT 2006

The primary currants used in period are Ribes rubrum and Ribes nigrum.  The
Cherry Red currant is a disease resistant variant of R. rubrum developed in
Washington state.  Since it is a large fruited cultivar, it may be descended
from some European hybrids developed around 1600.

Since Ribes can host several plant diseases, I would suggest using the
Cherry Red or a similar disease resistant cultivar rather than trying for a
more period plant.  I would also recommend checking with the state ag
department (unless you ar in Washington, Oregon or some other state where
they are grown commercially), since some states prohibit the importation and
planting of Ribes.

Bear