[Sca-cooks] Candlemas Feast

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed Sep 13 08:01:43 PDT 2006

We had a middle-eastern crown and I prepared a dinner for them at
an event that had no feast. It was quite fun and very interesting.
It worked well for me because I had limited (read none)
facilities. I was able to make almost everything ahead of time. It
actually gets better from sitting for a day or so. There are a lot
of tangines that you can make ahead that are delicious. They
reheated well in crockpots.

I also grilled chicken pieces (roasted ahead of time and grilled
to heat up) and served with a variety of sauces for everyone to
try. There was a mention of doing something like that on this list
and it worked well. I labeled the sauces with little cards and put
them around the platter of chicken. It gave everyone a chance to
try something different.

This wasn't an official feast so I had some leeway. I didn't
strictly stick to the middle-eastern theme but focused on Spain
and North Africa. I didn't do the redactions myself. I used a
friend's redactions as a baseline but, being a cook, I modified
them based on my interpretations.

It came out quite well! I was happy with the results and it turned
into a big party in between the lists and court. The king even
called court into session to present an award to someone who
wouldn't be able to stay for court.

In a way, it was sort of a reflection of period reality - the
populace had a pot luck feast near the list field and the landed
nobility had a dinner in a courtyard in front of the baronial
manor (you have to see the site to truly appreciate the setting).
I was cooking behind the manor and finally got the last dish out
the door and came around the corner to find about 40 people
milling around and having a grand time. It was one of those
moments that just makes you feel good.

My thoughts,
Ysabeau
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra