[Sca-cooks] Candlemas Feast

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Wed Sep 13 10:38:30 PDT 2006

"Georgia Foster" <jo_foster81 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Our local Candlemas is a small affair, around 30 and I generally end up
>funding out-of-pocket as my holiday gift to the shire.  This is sort of like
>throwing a dinner party for around 30 folks, more than running an event.
>Last year was a celtic theme, and it was VERY well recieved.   The previous
>year was late period English, and the year before that was thrown togeather
>from everywhere and everywhen.
>
>This year I am hard pressed to make a choice.  There are two options I am
>considering .... a Russian theme, or a Middle-eastern.
>
>Russian... because I have never done that
>
>or
>
>Middle-eastern because the attending crown is Middle-eastern.
>
>What say you all?  Were you in my situation, what would you do?

If it were a simple matter of picking a theme knowing that you will have
period things to do with that theme, I would recommend going with both at
once as a Ukrainian/Turkish theme. But for a period dinner party, I would
suggest the Middle Eastern theme, because that theme provides a large
selection of period recipes to fill the menu. Maybe it's been done more
often, but where there are lots of period recipes there's still more that
can be done with it.

--
Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark