[Sca-cooks] flan vs. custard

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 13 16:14:05 PDT 2006

Bear replied to my questions with:
<<< Personally, I would stick all of the flan stuff in under flan,
which would
handle custard and non-custard flans.  A flan is not necessarily a
custard
and a custard is not necessarily a flan. >>>

Huh? Now, I'm even more confused. When is a flan not necessarily a
custard, and when is a custard not necessarily a flan.  Where is the
dividing line between the two? I don't think I can go simply with
whether the recipe or message writer uses the term "flan" or not. If
I did, I suspect I see recipes for the same item in both files or
things that modern people would consider flans in both files.

In your earlier message you said: "Modernly, the word refers to a
tart of custard, fruit or cheese, a custard with caramel topping, or
a metal
blank for pressing a coin." which I took to mean that all flans were
custards, other than the flan which was a flat piece of metal.

This is an example of where I was thinking it might be better to go
with the modern meaning, since "The meaning is "flat cake."" would
apply to a large number of items I now have in a number of other
files and that I don't think most people these days would think of a
flan as a flat cake.

Thanks,
  Stefan
--------