[Sca-cooks] flan vs. custard

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 13 17:46:00 PDT 2006

Digging into Davidson's "The Oxford Companion to Food," flan is defined
(NSOED) as, "an open pastry or sponge case containing a (savory or sweet)
filling."  Davidson further states, "A typical flan of this sort is round,
with a shortcrust pastry. ...The filling, especially if it is a sweet one,
may incorporate custard."

This definition derives almost directly from the Old German "fladen," where
the shape (a flat cake) is the critical point.

Davidson points out that in France, Spain and Portugal the term flan refers
to a custard dessert.  He then ties this back to the Latin "flado" with a
principle meaning of "a custard."  I believe he errors, because be does not
address the Germanic root.

>From personal experience, I have encountered a cheese flan and an apple
flan, neither of which had a custard.  Creme anglaise, vanilla slice and
Zabaglione are custards that are not flans.

Flans are uncovered tarts, with or without custard that are referred to as
flans, creme caramel, or a molded custard similar to creme caramel.
Confusing, huh?

Bear