[Sca-cooks] Some Antirians go to Estrella... OT but Stefan asked....

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Fri Sep 15 22:26:27 PDT 2006

Stefan asks for the "Antirians go to Estrella" story.

ok, this has nothing to do with food. just so you know. that's the other estrella story. the one about
donner pass and two college girls going over in a blizzard.... but I digress.

so I'm taking the shiney new apprentice to Estrella. he's never been out of kingdom, much less to an event
this big. We fly down with me, him, his spousal equivalent, and a couple other friends who made the trip. we
rent a van and drive to the site.

we get there, and its dark. and we follow the looooooong road to the check in point. at which point a young
lady with a long spooky black cloak, most strange hair and a VERY unfortunate number of facial piercings
shines her flashlight into our van and says, growlingly, "TROLL?"

erm. well. we all look at each other.  Young Lady repeats herself. "TROLL???!!!!" Shiney apprentice boys
wife is driving and she looks at me blankly. I look at everyone else blankly. Is the highly ornamented young
lady declaring herself a troll? cuz she kinda looks like one, being all spooky and prickly and pointy like
that...is she asking if we're trolls? I mean, it has been a long trip and we're rather travelworn and
definately not looking our best...is she asking for directions? much puzzlement.

then I remember that in some places, "troll" is the word they use for "gate" or "check in". I smile brightly
and say "yes please!" and she points her shiney flashlight to direct us to the tent where we check in.

I explain what "troll" means to my campmates and much giggling ensues. (did I mention it had been a long
trip?).

the end.

:)

--Anne-Marie